PDA

View Full Version : Caribbean Karaoke

HBombVI
November 3rd, 2005, 12:30 PM
I posted a similar thread before but it got lost in the crash. I'm trying to locate anyone currently living in Trinidad or knows someone they can contact regarding IslandStars Entertainment. From the following article I learned they've made several karaoke cds dedicated to dancehall reggae, soca and calypso that I'd love to get my hands on. I even emailed a Trinidad newspaper (nobody answered) on a article that I can't locate anymore.

================================================
Newspaper: Newsday Section B
Date: January 31, 2005
Page#: Page 27

Sparrow Signs Major Karaoke Deal

History was made recently when the Caribbean's first karaoke production company, IslandStars Entertainment signed its first major production and distribution deal with Internationally acclaimed Calypso King of The World the Mighty Sparrow (Dr. Slinger Francisco).

This is the first time the works of a major calypso artiste will be produced and distributed for the worldwide karaoke industry.

The initial production will consist of nine songs, and have a "with vocals" and "without vocals" version. Some of the songs on the disk will include timeless favorites like "Mae Mae", "Congo Man", "De Lizard", "Jean And Dinah" and " Mr. Benwood Dick".

According to Allison Demas, Chief Executive Officer, Copyright Organization of Trinidad and Tobago (COTT): "COTT is very pleased to note that Peter Louis, one of our first licensed karaoke operations has concluded an agreement with one of COTT's outstanding members, Dr. Slinger Francisco, The Mighty Sparrow. We also wish to encourage all of our members to explore this new avenue of royalty collection which has been endorsed by COTT."

At the signing, Peter Louis, Director, IslandStars Entertainment, remarked: "During the past years we have invested a lot of work to get to where we are now. This is only the beginning. Karaoke can provide a fresh new life for or local artistes and afford them a sense of immortality the they so desperately deserve. In this form it now truly becomes "we music."

Sparrow will be IslandStars first official release of a massive arsenal of Caribbean Stars whose genres range from Soca, Reggae, Chutney , Calypso, dancehall, Rapso, Caribbean, Rock and Parang."

IslandStars has already produced karaoke formats of other artistes works from a host of other genres of Caribbean music including "Destra," "Xtatik," "Adesh Samaroo," "Elephant Man," "Scrunter," and "Tanya Stevens." These productions will be available shortly.

http://www.mightysparrow.com/karaoke2005.htm

MarcNYC
November 3rd, 2005, 01:00 PM
They have a Kareoke night at a popular spot in the Bronx every Thursday night.

At a place called Mingles. When I first heard they were doing that I thought it was gonna be whack. Whack like all the other Karoeoke venues out there.

But not this one...most of the people could actually sing, and dey play light reggae to regular kareoke hits like 80s and 90s pop and R&B.

I don't remember dem playing no Soca...but maybe dey did.

In between some songs dey play reggae from the DJ and by 2 -3 am dey cut it off and go full een back to regular club flex.

It's a pretty good setup.

HBombVI
November 3rd, 2005, 11:15 PM
They have a Kareoke night at a popular spot in the Bronx every Thursday night.

At a place called Mingles. When I first heard they were doing that I thought it was gonna be whack. Whack like all the other Karoeoke venues out there.

But not this one...most of the people could actually sing, and dey play light reggae to regular kareoke hits like 80s and 90s pop and R&B.

I don't remember dem playing no Soca...but maybe dey did.

In between some songs dey play reggae from the DJ and by 2 -3 am dey cut it off and go full een back to regular club flex.

It's a pretty good setup.

Soca, Dancehall and Calypso karaoke is actually quite rare. Only mainstream stuff makes it and even THAT is rare. I have karaoke versions of Turn Me On, Tempted To Touch, Dude, and Dollar Wine. Besides that I only have Harry Belafonte, Bob Marley (lots of his stuff), a little Inner Circle, etc. But I know if I can come up with that stuff that IslandStars is developing I can really increase my customer base and get more locals at karaoke.

JTA
November 3rd, 2005, 11:52 PM
why not contact sparrow?

HBombVI
November 4th, 2005, 12:01 AM
why not contact sparrow?

I actually didn't want his stuff. I wanted the other titles. But that's not a bad idea. If I can buy his off of his website it might have an address I can write to to get more. :idea:

HBombVI
November 4th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Shoot, it's not on the website. I sent Sparrow an email though.

HBombVI
December 14th, 2005, 09:12 AM
I found Welcome To Jamrock on karaoke! :bounce:

SouthernBelle
December 14th, 2005, 09:15 AM
How's your Karaoke biz going HBomb?

HBombVI
December 14th, 2005, 09:18 AM

My Wednesdays are still cool. I like the mellow vibe there. People who really want to sing come out. My Fridays are hell :laugh: Ever since they opened that strip club upstairs we lost a lot of the sports bar crowd. Plus they spent so much time hyping the strip club they stopped advertising karaoke. :shame:
The Friday crowd is coming back slowly but surely.

SouthernBelle
December 14th, 2005, 09:24 AM
My Wednesdays are still cool. I like the mellow vibe there. People who really want to sing come out. My Fridays are hell :laugh: Ever since they opened that strip club upstairs we lost a lot of the sports bar crowd. Plus they spent so much time hyping the strip club they stopped advertising karaoke. :shame:
The Friday crowd is coming back slowly but surely.

Maybe you can move it upstairs and have the patrons sing to their strippers. :D

HBombVI
December 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
Maybe you can move it upstairs and have the patrons sing to their strippers. :D

Hey that could be kinda hot. I can get a stripper to dance while I do Back That Ass Up in karaoke. :dwl

SouthernBelle
December 14th, 2005, 09:34 AM
:laugh:

Oneshot
April 22nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
looking for kareoke discs for purchase anybody knows where?

LastDragon55
April 22nd, 2010, 12:01 PM
I do a mean karaoke to "Congo Man" by Sparrow.

LOL

HBombVI
April 22nd, 2010, 08:28 PM
looking for kareoke discs for purchase anybody knows where?

eBay's a pretty good place to look.

Crap, I've really been doing this for more than 5 years?! Tempus fugit.

Oneshot
April 25th, 2010, 05:07 AM
eBay's a pretty good place to look.

Crap, I've really been doing this for more than 5 years?! Tempus fugit.

seriously i have been saerching haven't found much there at all

SouthernBelle
April 25th, 2010, 07:49 AM

:yeah

5 years later and the same question is the first thing that popped into my mind lol.

HBombVI
April 27th, 2010, 10:03 AM
:yeah

5 years later and the same question is the first thing that popped into my mind lol.

I've got a steady Sunday and Wednesday gig. I like 'em both because I can leave my speakers and amp at home. The Sunday crowd is just awesome (somebody proposed in the middle of Unchained Melody this week; go figure). Karaoke has been doing really well there. My Wednesday night is at a more upscale club. The sound system there makes everyone sound like a rockstar. It's my hardest gig though because I'm stationed so far away from the crowd. It makes it really hard to keep an eye on the mics too. I'm about to start using my third set of mics there because the crowd tends to get kinda rowdy down there. I share a Saturday night with another karaoke group (we alternate every Saturday). That spot is kinda hit or miss. Some nights it's on and others it's totally dead. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been cut yet. That spot actually pays me the most because it's a full 4 hours but sometimes I really hate to drag out my entire mobile setup.

HBombVI
April 27th, 2010, 10:06 AM
seriously i have been saerching haven't found much there at all

Just search for Karaoke. The first thing that pops up will probably by CDs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Karaoke-CDGs-200-Most-Requested-Songs-10-DISCS-NEW-/370362743857?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item563b56fc31

That's one of the first sets I bought. The sound quality isn't stellar but it's a good starter set and it's inexpensive.

Oneshot
April 29th, 2010, 04:18 AM
Just search for Karaoke. The first thing that pops up will probably by CDs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Karaoke-CDGs-200-Most-Requested-Songs-10-DISCS-NEW-/370362743857?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_CDs&hash=item563b56fc31

That's one of the first sets I bought. The sound quality isn't stellar but it's a good starter set and it's inexpensive.

lol.. my search weas specific calypso kareoke nada.. and all these reggae sounds are a generation and a half away lol..

HBombVI
April 29th, 2010, 11:46 PM
lol.. my search weas specific calypso kareoke nada.. and all these reggae sounds are a generation and a half away lol..

What I said in my second post in this thread still applies. If it's not mainstream in the US then it either doesn't exist or you have to use special software to make your own.