PDA

View Full Version : Choc'late to sweeten Rebel Salute

kidvw711
January 11th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Kimone Thompson, Observer staff reporter thompsonk@jamaicaobserver.com
Friday, January 11, 2008

Choc'late Allen, the Trinidadian teenager who grabbed the headlines last year when she read and fasted to launch her 100 per cent crime-free initiative in the island, will be the youngest performer on the Rebel Salute stage tomorrow.

She'll be using the platform to launch the 2008 phase of her initiative and will be singing three original pieces focusing on love and positive thinking, themes which form the central pillars of her drive to eradicate crime from our Caribbean societies.

The songs, she says, are products of the collaborative effort primarily of her father Kurt who is a calypsonian, her assistant Sara-Lee Smith and herself.

"I began singing at the age of five and I did a few recordings and two videos but they were for fun. They weren't anything too serious," she told Splash.

Two of the songs she did, says her mother Fabienne, were versions of Musical Youth's Pass The Dutchie and Allison Hinds' Saluma. "We changed the lyrics to suit her age and to make them more child-friendly and more fun," she said, adding that her daughter has always had a deep love for music and dancing.

Now, Choc'late says she wants to start a career in music and will use Rebel Salute as the launch pad. She met Tony Rebel, the show's creator, back in 2005 when he and Queen Ifrica performed at a benefit concert put on by Allen's organisation, Caribbean Vizion, in Grenada. Proceeds from that event went towards the Hurricane Ivan recovery effort in the Eastern Caribbean island, one of the hardest hit by the 2004 hurricane.

"It was very successful, especially on account of his participation, and that was the first step in our friendship. We met again when I was in Jamaica last year and he invited me to perform at Rebel Salute," Choc'late said.

The Allens are expecting good things of Choc'late's Jamaican debut and the teen herself is grateful for getting the opportunity to practise her two loves: music and youth activism.

"I'm very thankful for this opportunity to spread positive messages through the medium of music," she said.
Added a very supportive Mrs Allen: "Her lyrics are positive and I think they will appeal both to young people and adults alike. She wants to address the problems faced by young people but I think older persons will also get a message from them."

The Allens arrived in the island Sunday last and will leave next Tuesday.

source: jamaicaobserver.com